Changing your Jeep"s oil is a pretty basic job the anyone have the right to do at house in the driveway. Doing it you yourself not only saves friend a few bucks, yet gives girlfriend a possibility to visually inspect other points on her Jeep at the exact same time. And also when you execute it yourself, you have the right to rest easy learning the task is done right and with the exact parts or fluids of her choosing. Relying on your Jeep, even if it is you"ve set up a lifted supsension or not, you may even be able to tackle this task without any jacks and jack stands or driveway ramps. And is some situations you can also do this job without raising your Jeep also if the suspension is completely stock. I"ll be using a lift, simply to make the task of taking pictures easier, however really every you require for this project is a few hand tools.
You are watching: 2001 jeep grand cherokee 4.0 oil capacity
What You will Need
6 quarts of 5W-30 (Preferred) or 10W-30 (depending ~ above the temperature variety anticipated before your next oil change) Ratchet13mm SocketOil Filter SocketDrain PanShop Towels / paper Towels--- not vital - but valuable ---Rubber GlovesFunnel
Before functioning on her Jeep, always park on a level surface, put it in park and set the parking break. It"s constantly a good idea to chock the wheel to be extra safe whenever working under your Jeep.
Before starting to readjust the oil, operation the engine because that a few minutes to warm the engine oil. This will help the oil circulation easier and quicker.
According to the owner"s manual, 5W-30 is the desired oil because that both the 4.7L and also the 4.7L High output engines and also is best for eco-friendly operating temperatures listed below 100ºF. If friend live in an area that sees external temperatures over 100ºF climate you should use 10W-30.
1. Remove the oil filler lid to assist allow every the oil to drain from the engine better.
2. Remove the oil filler baffle from inside the oil filler neck.
3. Using a 13mm socket, eliminate the drain bolt from the bottom of the oil pan.
4. Allow the oil to drain into a pan. Keep some document towels near by to clean up any spills or drips and also to wipe off any oil that might splash onto her exhaust. After ~ the oil has finished draining, change the drain bolt and also torque come 25 ft lbs. (Hand tightening functions perfectly fine for the drain bolt if you don"t have a torque wrench.)
5. Using your oil filter wrench, eliminate the old oil filter.
The Mopar oil filter illustrates the procedures for installing your brand-new oil filter.
6. Clean and also inspect the oil filter sealing surface to be sure there"s no corrosion or debris the may reason a poor seal top top the new filter.
7. Lubricate the seal top top your brand-new oil filter with a few drops that clean motor oil.
8. Install the new filter on to the engine block. Hand tighten the filter.
9. Using one oil filter wrench, tighten the filter 1 much more revolution past hand tight.
10. Using a funnel, refill the engine v oil. The 4.7L engine requires 6 Quarts the oil. If you"re utilizing a 5 Quart jug, don"t forget to add one added quart.
11. Clean off and also re-install the oil filler baffle the you gotten rid of earlier.
12. Clean off the oil cap, climate lubricate the oil seal ~ above the cap with a few drops of clean engine oil. This will assist make removing her oil cap throughout your following oil readjust much easier.
See more: How Many Amps Does A Keurig Use ? How Many Watts Does A Keurig Use
13. The overhead Electronic vehicle Information center or EVIC for short keeps monitor of once it"s time to finish an oil change. Be certain to reset the company interval after ~ completing her oil adjust so you"ll it is in reminded as soon as it"s time to readjust it again. With the Jeep in park (the vital can be in the on place with or without the engine running) push the STEP switch until the company message appears on screen. Climate press and also hold the RESET button for a few seconds. The EVIC will certainly beep and reset. The EVIC deserve to be programmed to different company intervals depending upon your driving actions by making use of the MENU button when the Jeep is in park.