One the my favorite things about summer is getting to watch the ruby-throated hummingbirds. Ns love watching them at my window feeder, i m sorry I put on mine office window at eye level so that as soon as the bird visits, it is simply 3 feet from my eyes! While ns am functioning I may get distracted through them however I never tire of seeing them.
You are watching: Does a hummingbird weigh less than a penny
So let’s talk around ruby-throated hummingbirds. Below are 10 points you may not know:
1. Ruby-throated hummingbirds sweet .141 ounces. They room the tiniest birds in the world! For reference, a coin weighs 0.88 ounces. That is amazing, specifically when you clock the bird fly about through hefty rain or in strong winds. The mind of a hummingbird is composed of 4.2% of their body weight; the largest in the pet kingdom! They deserve to hear better than humans, see much better than us, even see ultraviolet light.
2. Hummingbirds have the fastest metabolism the any animal on earth. Their metabolism is 100 times quicker than that of an elephant! No wonder they need to eat so often! (every 15 minutes)
3. Ruby-throated hummingbirds beat your wings 60-80 times every second. But words “beat” is yes, really not quite correct, together they don’t beat their wings up and also down like other birds. Instead, your wings relocate in a number eight shape. When they are in a courtship dive, this rises to 200 times per SECOND! have you ever before seen them do this! that incredible! The female rests on a branch while the male paris at peak speed in a huge arch, a pendulum, through the bottom being right next to the watching female. Have actually you ever before seen this? the looks choose he is ~ above a string through someone stop it at the top and whipping it about like a yo-yo. And by the way, the humming sound your wings do when moving in this number eight is the reason they are called HUMMING birds.
4. Their heart beats in ~ a rate of 615 beats every minute! In comparison, the average human being heart beats in between 60 and 100 times in one minute.
5. Hummingbirds fly up to 40 mph in a right line and as much as 65 mph in your courtship dive!
6. Ruby-throated hummingbirds, like various other hummingbirds have actually a diet that flower nectar and insects and other tiny invertebrates the are necessary sources of protein because that the tiny birds. They catch the insects in mid-air, find them on pipeline or in spider webs. So that feeder you put out to lure them just supplements your diet.
7. The average hummingbird spend 1/2 of it’s body load in nectar every day! They have long small beaks that space hollow in the center to enable for their lengthy tongue–which is grooved top top the sides– to on slide in and also out easily.Look in ~ her lengthy tongue!
They get their nectar from flowers, and in areas where human being live, native hummingbird feeders. If you want to lure hummingbirds, you deserve to put out a hummingbird feeder. Click HERE for much more information around attracting hummingbirds to your yard.
8. They are the only bird that can fly backwards and upside-down.
9. Ruby-throated hummingbirds space the only varieties of hummingbirds that lives and nests east of the Rockies.
See more: How To Tell Male From Female Raccoon Control Blog, Raccoon Facts
Thus, once you view one ~ above the east coast, you can be pretty certain it’s a ruby-throated hummingbird! Both males and females have actually a metallic green earlier and white underside. Females space 15-25% larger, absence a red throat patch (called a gorget) and also have 3 white-tipped tail feathers on each side of their forked tail. Immature hummingbirds absence the red gorget till after their first winter, despite they may have actually streaking ~ above the neck or one or two red feathers.
10. The color you see in a hummingbird’s feathers space not indigenous pigments, yet rather the structure of the feathers! The colors differ according to exactly how much light hits them and at what edge it comes from. This explains why occasionally the male’s gorget watch black and then when he suddenly turns his head, it have the right to look bright red. Amazing!!
Check out this hummingbird at my home window feeder–you have the right to really get a great look in ~ his iridescent red gorget (fancy word for neck)