One that the many an excellent things about the small-block Chevy is its versatility. Think about it for a minute: the same basic powerplant has been used to power everything from a heavy-hauling farm truck that hardly ever sees the high next of 30 mph to a production-bodied, land-speed document holder exceeding 300 miles every hour. The needs of many Super Chevy readers fall somewhere between these two extremes, but that still pipeline a lot of room because that individuality as soon as it comes time to choose an ideas for her favorite muscle car, street rod, or also daily driver. At Super Chevy we recognize the reality that not every enthusiast desires or requirements an 8-second street machine, but couple of stick to stone stock.
You are watching: How much horsepower does a stock 350 have
In an initiative to appease as numerous of the small-block faithful as feasible and to demonstrate the adaptability of our magnificent little Mouse, we determined that a minimum the three different engine combinations to be in order. Technically, it was 4 if you counting the share baseline combination, but whether your tastes run from mild come wild, examine out what it takes to add, 100, 200, or even as much as 300 speech to a usual 350.
At the local wrecking yard, we snatched what we believed was one L65 350 indigenous the engine only of a 1/2-ton truck, a most basic small-block right down to the 2G, two-barrel carburetor. Though us were tempted come plop it best on the dyno and also hope for the best, we determined that the tired small Mouse deserved a small TLC prior to subjecting it to a triple class of abuse. It was disassembled, cleaned, and machined (0.030-overbore) to accept new forged rods, JE flat-top pistons (with adequate valve reliefs), and Total Seal rings. The share crank was deemed worthy and given a rapid polishing, while the 882 heads received a new valve job. Brand-new bearings were mounted as to be a set of Fel-Pro top gaskets and ARP head bolts. The stock cam looked fine however we changed the old lifters. Our intention was to run the original 2G carb that came with the engine, yet were compelled to substitute a Sean Murphy unit gave by Westech Performance.
When all was said and also done, we had was a stone-stock, two-barrel 355 through a stock video camer that eventually developed 246 hp at 4,500 rpm and 364 lb-ft the torque in ~ 3,000 rpm with headers and also an MSD distributor.
Obviously, coaxing more power the end of a two-barrel 355 isn"t specifically difficult, particularly given the substantial array of performance products available. The an initial 100 hp is the easiest due to the fact that every ingredient on the stock two-barrel engine is restrictive, starting with the diminutive carburetor. Replacing the 2G with a Q-Jet and also intake alone deserve to be precious 25-30 hp. Toss in a mild cam and cylinder head upgrade and the strength gains really begin to include up. Despite this power level would conveniently be served by a set of porting stock or Vortec heads, us stepped as much as a set of as-cast Pro action aluminum heads from RHS. Working v the 180cc RHS heads to be a soft Comp High energy 252H cam that readily available 0.425-inch lift, 206-degrees of term (
0.050) and also 110-degree LSA. Topping the as-cast RHS heads and RV camer was a Speedmaster dual-plane intake and Holley 650 HP carb. The mildly modified mouse pumped out 347 hp in ~ 5,400 rpm and also 399 lb-ft the torque at 3,700 rpm. Keep in mind that the engine developed peak power and also torque greater in the rpm range compared come the two-barrel configuration. This trend continued with each successive action up in power.
The first 100hp rise was easy, yet each successive jump in power becomes much more and more difficult. Though we might get away through using the as-cast RHS top at this power level, we decided to shot a whole brand-new combination. Off came the 100hp update parts and also on go a brand-new set the heads and also induction system. The simple short-block stayed the same, yet the 355 got a new set of AFR 195 Eliminator heads. Because that this application there was no need to step approximately the compete package, yet the Eliminator top featured 65cc chambers, a 2.05/1.60 valve package, and also flow number to assistance over 550 hp. The same dual-plane intake and a Holley 750 HP carburetor topped the AFR heads. A an excellent portion that the extra power came from the camer upgrade, a Comp Cams XR276HR hydraulic roller cam. The XR276HR offered a 0.502/0.510-inch elevator split, a 224/230-degree term split, and also 110-degree LSA. In enhancement to the cam, Comp Cams likewise supplied the necessary lifters, pushrods, and also stainless roller rockers. ~ installation the the new components, the 355 developed 449 hp at 5,900 rpm and also 446 lb-ft that torque in ~ 4,600 rpm.
The final upgrade netted almost 300 additional horsepower over our baseline, but know that this mix certainly reduced driveability compared to the previous two. This combination was skewed much an ext to the strip end of a street/strip buildup. Exceeding 540 horsepower from 355 cubic inches required a healthy camer profile, and also the Comp 300BR-16 electronic came certainly right the bill. Despite it was feasible to create this power with a hydraulic roller cam, us stepped as much as a heavy roller. It had 0.630-inch lift, a 264/270-degree duration split, and a chop 106-degree LSA. The wild roller electronic came was teamed with a collection of as-cast Dragon Slayer 225 top from Brodix. As shown by the name, the Brodix heads featured 225cc input ports, and flow over 300 cfm (enough to assistance over 600 hp). To preserve the revolution compression, us took the liberty that milling the Brodix top to minimize the chamber dimension from 68 cc under to 65 cc. Feeding the superior Brodix heads to be a single-plane strength Plus intake. Completing the induction device was a Holley 950 HP carburetor teamed v an MSD billet distributor. After tuning, the new mix belted out 543 hp at 6,900 rpm and 463 lb-ft of torque in ~ 5,300 rpm.
01. Making large power indigenous a recycle 350 Chevy is as simple as ...
02. ~ removal indigenous the wrecking yard, the block was boring 0.030-over, honed, and decked in ready for assembly.
03. The stock actors crank was in an excellent shape, needing just a rapid polish prior to balancing. The stock crank was linked with forged rods and JE flat-top pistons prior to assembly.
04. Fixed the cream the the performance crop, the 882 stole heads to be cleaned and also given a new valve job prior to installation because that the baseline. We even drilled and also tapped the top to change the prone-to-pulling press-in rocker studs.
05. Run with a stock cam and two-barrel Rochester carb, the mild 350 created 246 hp and also 364 lb-ft that torque. The stock exhaust manifolds to be ditched in donate of a collection of Hooker headers.
06. Off came the stock heads, cam, and intake to make room for a collection of RHS Pro activity heads.
07. The as-cast, aluminum RHS top featured 180cc entry ports that flowed considerably far better than the stock 882 stole heads.
08. Exhaust circulation is a vital element in power production and the RHS heads available considerably more exhaust flow than the 882s.
09. along with the airflow, the static compression enhanced thanks come a autumn in combustion chamber size from 72 cc (on the 882 heads) to 64 cc. The RHS heads additionally featured a 2.02/1.60 stainless stole valve package.
10. The stock electronic came was replaced with a slightly much more aggressive hydraulic flat-tappet electronic came from Comp Cams. The High power 252H electronic came stepped points up with 0.425-inch lift, 206-degrees of duration at 0.050 (both intake and exhaust), and also 110-degree LSA.
11. The cast-iron, two-barrel setup was replaced with a Holley 750 HP carb and also Speedmaster dual-plane intake. The brand-new combo enhanced the strength output indigenous 246 hp and also 364 lb-ft come 347 hp and 399 lb-ft of torque.
See more: Is Zero A Rational Or Irrational Number ? What Is Zero
12. though the RHS top had an ext to market with wilder cam timing, the 200hp upgrade relied on a collection of CNC-ported AFR 195 heads. Also without the vain porting, the AFR top were capable of sustaining over 550 hp.
THE recent IN auto NEWS
EMAIL newsletter SIGN-UP!