JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.


You are watching: My dog ate reese's peanut butter cups

From what I understand, and have read, the amount of milk chocolate in reese"s peanut butter cups is not enough to cause serious illness in a 45lb hound mix, even after 4 of them. Since it is 10:45 here, I can"t call the vet to get her opinion, and as Bella is not exhibiting any signs of distress (in fact, she is currently begging for a treat) after half an hour, so it seems as though it is not affecting her too badly (yet). However, I"m interested to know if I should stay up and keep an eye on her overnight, or have her sleep in our room in case she is going to be sick etc. Thanks for any advice!!
*

From what I understand, and have read, the amount of milk chocolate in reese"s peanut butter cups is not enough to cause serious illness in a 45lb hound mix, even after 4 of them. Since it is 10:45 here, I can"t call the vet to get her opinion, and as Bella is not exhibiting any signs of distress (in fact, she is currently begging for a treat) after half an hour, so it seems as though it is not affecting her too badly (yet). However, I"m interested to know if I should stay up and keep an eye on her overnight, or have her sleep in our room in case she is going to be sick etc. Thanks for any advice!!
I"d keep an eye on her, but I had one dog (about that size) who ate 2 lbs. of M&Ms and didn"t even get an upset stomach.
I had a pug die from eating chocolate, it was A LOT more than that though. You can induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide, which our vet"s first line advice. Most vets have an answering service and an on call vet, talking to the on call might be a good idea.
*



See more: What Does Oggi Mean In Italian, Oggi In English

http://www.thehersheycompany.com/nutrition-and-wellness/chocolate-101/theobromine.aspxA 1.6 oz. (45 gr) Reese"s Peanut Butter Cup has 30 mg of theobromine, which is what is poisonous to dogs.The Hershey"s website has the following suggestion: If you suspect your pet has eaten any of the following, please note the amount ingested and contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.What information will I need when I call you?When you call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center hotline at (888) 426-4435, it’s most helpful to be ready with the following information: - the species, breed, age, sex, weight and number of animals involved- the animal’s symptoms- information regarding the exposure, including the agent (if known), the amount of the agent involved and the time elapsed since the time of exposure.Have the product container/packaging available for reference. Collect in a sealable plastic bag any material your pet may have vomited or chewed. How much does it cost to use the APCC hotline?The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center hotline operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, at (888) 426-4435. There is a $65 consultation fee, payable by credit card, for this service. This includes follow-up consultation should you or your vet need further assistance with your pet’s case. http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/animal-poison-control-faq.aspxNotes on Chocolate Toxicity in Dogs http://netpet.batw.net/articles/choc.tox.html"Chocolate - active ingredient = theobromine:The half life in the dog is 17.5 hoursThe Toxic dose in the dog is 100-150 mg/kg.A kilogram (kg) = 2.2 lbs.A milligram(mg) = 1/1000 of a gram So for a 50 lb dog a toxic dose would be roughly 2.2 grams (2200 mg) of pure chocolate.However the concentration of theobromine varies with the formulation of the chocolate so:Milk chocolate has 44mg/oz (154mg/100gm): toxic dose for 50 lb dog - 50 oz of milk chocolate.Semisweet chocolate has 150 mg/oz (528mg/100gm): toxic dose for 50 lb dog - 15 oz of semisweet chocolateBaking chocolate 390mg/oz (1365 mg/100gm): toxic dose for 50 lb dog - 5 oz of baking chocolate "