Dictionary entries have actually grown in intricacy over the previous several years due to the restraint of physical printing gift removed. Originally, as man Simpson pointed out several times in the word Detective22, definitions had to be as concise together possible, fan to the should conserve printed space. Electronic and also online dictionaries don’t have actually such a restriction. Computer storage space, also on mobile phones, has grown significantly year after year. The only restrictions on room now room those the the display on i m sorry the thesaurus is being presented.
You are watching: What are the four parts of a dictionary word entry
Dictionaries will constantly have the very first three categories of content, just like glossaries. However, given that digital dictionaries space no longer constrained by published size, many will have added content that has the various types of definitions.
1. Term or lemma – This is the hatchet that will certainly be defined. Lemma is the an elaborate word lexicographers provide the term. Dictionaries constantly list their terms complying with strict capitalization rules.
2. Pronunciation helpers – part dictionaries will have a small speaker (
3. Preferred, nonstandard, and alternate order variants– Not plenty of dictionaries, together of yet, contain this categories the data. Preferred terms space those state normally discovered within a hands-on of style. The manual of style will list certain terms come use instead of other, like, terms. Nonstandard variants have entered the dictionary human being as a part of evaluating various to adjust of corpora (the records you are using and drawing terms from) and also determining that the writers room using differing terms with the exact same definitions. The nonstandard variants space those outlying term supplies that get added to dictionaries to let the organic Language processing engines understand that personal data and also individual’s info are the very same thing. Alternate spelling variants are those versions wherein the united state spells organization with a “z” and the UK spells company with one “s”.
4. Acronym – some dictionaries will place the acronym on a line below the term entry. Rather will just follow the term entry v the acronym in parentheses.
5. Designator and Definition – Dictionary meanings are much more stringent 보다 glossary definitions. Dictionary interpretations will always begin with the definition’s designator. A designator is needed due to the fact that some terms have multiple definitions, such as the hatchet report (it is has multiple meanings for both noun and also verb). Every dictionaries will certainly list even if it is the meaning that follows is a noun, pronoun, adjective, determiner, verb, adverb, preposition, conjunction, or interjection. Custom dictionaries will certainly take this ide farther and will perform whether the definition fits any kind of specific kind of called entity (we covering those later).
6. Attribution – many online dictionaries, such as Wordnik and also Compliance dictionary will include meanings from many sources. As soon as including meanings from lot of sources, this dictionaries will include the source’s attribution along with the definition.
7. Related forms – any electronic dictionary that is developed with the intentionally of functioning with natural Language processing Engines will likewise include every one of the other creates that the term can take. The most usual being plurals and possessives for nouns and every one of the various verb tenses.
8. Relationships – most dictionaries will list every term’s synonyms and also antonyms. Dictionaries that likewise blend in a thesaurus, will add additional terms concerned the main term. As of this writing, just Compliance thesaurus lists progressed semantic relationships such as group of, part of, offered to enforce, references, manages, provided to create, etc. These advanced semantic relationship are important for organic Language processing engines’ knowledge of named entity relationships of terms.
9. Examples of use – examples of use are wonderful. And also with modern-day “document scraping” software, once a term has been identified, examples can be discovered in the dictionary’s corpus and brought to the forefront.
10. Reverse lookup – These are terms the the scraping engine the the thesaurus has uncovered that usage the primary term in your definition.
11. Etymology – some dictionaries will certainly list the term’s origin, mirroring which parts of the term originated when and where and also how the term has actually evolved.
12. Visuals – several of the more recent online dictionaries, prefer Wordnik, will likewise have pictures and also illustrations the the term detailed with the definitions. They say a picture is worth a thousand words...
See more: Who Sang Giving Him Something He Can Feel By En Vogue, Something He Can Feel By Aretha Franklin
Not every thesaurus will have actually every item. Wordnik, because that example, has actually most of these items, yet doesn’t have actually the called entity acknowledgment designators, or the advanced semantic relationships that go v them. ComplianceDictionary doesn’t have actually the reverse lookup, etymology, or visuals.