How to change the Tach Sensor top top a 6.9/7.3 IDI Diesel
If the tachometer on your 6.9L or 7.3L IDI end to duty properly or altogether, the most likely culprit is the tach sensor. The tach sensor is located on the injection pump equipment cover top top the prior of the engine. The part number, which includes the sensor and pigtail connector, is E5TZ-17B384-A. Instead of the sensor just takes a couple of minutes and also typically cures tachometer issues.
You are watching: Where is the tachometer sensor located
Applicable version years: every 6.9L and 7.3L IDI engines (naturally aspirated & manufacturing facility turbocharged) 6.9L, 7.3L IDI tach sensor: Ford E5TZ-17B384-A
• The tach sensor because that the 6.9/7.3L IDI is located towards the former of the engine on the injection pump gear housing (red arrow in image).
• If you\"d favor to check the tach sensor before replacing, examine resistance throughout the 2 sensor wires with a multimeter. If the resistance measures in between 2,000 and also 3,000 Ohms, the sensor must be good.
See more: P14K Is Stamped On A Ring What Does P14K Mean On A Ring, P14K And Dq Gz Or Cz In A Ring
• This is the tach sensor, Ford component number E5TZ-17B384-A. It\"s a an extremely primitive, an easy sensor the reads a magnet ~ above the injection pump gear as that rotates. Every time the magnet passes this sensor, the triggers it and this pulse is what drives the tachometer.
• To remove the sensor, first disconnect the connector (red arrow, surprise behind the heater water tap in the image). There space two clips that secure the connector; a small flathead screwdriver have the right to be provided to release the two safety clips.
• At just under $75 for a new sensor, it is no a cheap item. As you have the right to see, this sensor has actually seen better days, and also the previous owner(s) have performed some sophisticated tape work in an effort to keep the original one working. Once the sensor has been disconnected, usage a 1 customs wrench to eliminate it.
• apply a little amount of fresh motor oil to the o-ring (red arrow in image) prior to installing the brand-new sensor; this guarantee a confident seal.
• installation of the brand-new sensor is reverse. Thread the in by hand come ensure that does no cross thread, climate snug that up v your wrench. Finally, plug the connector right into the harness. Friend may also want to wrap the sensor\"s wires with electrical tape to safeguard it native chafing in the future.